Nothing says “I love you” like taking the time to make something special for your pup. In our house, first birthdays mean a good old fashioned homemade dog birthday cake! This is Ollie’s Good Boy Peanut Butter Birthday Cake, a banana bread-inspired recipe with cream cheese frosting.Jump to Recipe
For such simple ingredients, this cake is really a showstopper! We made everything here on the cake, from the tennis ball cookie topper to the dog treat favors on the sides. If you want to go all in, we’ve got those recipes for you- and if you’d rather use what you have on hand, your dog will love you all the same.
Want to make a Good Boy or Good Girl Banner? These itty bitty pennants are super cute, just print, cut out, and string between two straws with a piece of twine! We have a free printable right here: Good Dog Mini Banner
This recipe makes enough for a 2 layer 8-inch cake or a 3 layer 6-inch cake, as shown here. Cut the recipe in half for smaller party pups, or make into pupcakes. Although this recipe contains all ingredients considered safe for dogs, we always encourage you to ask your veterinarian if you have concerns about the suitability of any ingredients. And note: our serving size is for a Golden Retriever; your chihuahua is going to need a much smaller serving!
Good Boy Peanut Butter Banana Cake
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c smooth peanut butter NOT sugar free! Check labels for xylitol
- 1/4 c canola oil
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 c pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c Greek yogurt
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened room temperature
- 2 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 2 8-inch cake pans or one 12 x 9 inch rectangular pan.Mash bananas with a fork. Add oil, peanut butter, and pumpkin Mix well. Add 2 eggs and stir to combine.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, stirring to combine. Add in wet ingredients and stir well. Mixture will be very thick.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool, then remove from pan.
- Combine cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and honey. Spread in between layers and over top of cake. Decorate with treats, dog bones, kibble, or whatever makes you smile!
- Store leftovers in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Unfrosted layers can be prepared in advance and frozen.
We recommend products we use and love at the Boop . If you buy from one of our links, we may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.